Weather in Singapore is getting familiarly hot once again and sometimes the days just go on and on without a single breeze or rain. :| A calming way to cool down would be a nice cold glass of Iced Lemongrass Tea, which can’t get any simpler to make at home.Fresh lemongrass, raw cane sugar and water. There. Just three ingredients. Maybe four if you include ice cubes. I know the word ‘tea’ in the name is misleading because I don’t add any tea leaves into this, but you very well can…. I recommend jasmine or green tea varieties.
Preparing this drink can’t get any easier and fool-proof, really.
What I do is bash the lemongrass roots first to release the aroma, before steeping them hot water, then add some sugar, let cool and serve with ice.
Do try making this at home next time, it’s super easy to make. For me, the scent of lemongrass transports me to a spa-like environment. Told ya it’s calming, but there are also many health benefits to drinking lemongrass tea.
- If suffering from insomnia, a cup before bedtime causes relaxation and promotes a restful night of sleep.
- It is also known to relieve nausea and is an aid in digestion.
- Drinking a cup after a large meal will take away that full feeling and will aid in digesting the food just consumed along with helping to remove unhealthy food additives, chemicals and excess fats.
- It also aids in the relief of constipation, keeping the bowels working properly and removing toxins to keep the body healthy and energetic.
- Acting as a natural diuretic it is known to keep the kidneys and bladder working properly.
- Its powerful antioxidant benefits help to keep the liver and pancreas healthy and it is also known to help keep cholesterol levels normal.
- It helps to relieve cough and cold symptoms.
- This drink is a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- If drank regularly, studies have shown that it helps prevent the outbreak of acne and keeps the skin healthy due to its anti-bacterial effects.
- It can also relieve aches and pains and helps to reduce fever.
If you are a foodie like me, please join me in standing up for real food!
Food Revolution Day on 19 May is a chance for people who love food to come together to share information, talents and resources; to pass on their knowledge and highlight the world’s food issues. All around the globe, people will work together to make a difference. Food Revolution Day is about connecting with your community through events at schools, restaurants, local businesses, dinner parties and farmers’ markets. We want to inspire change in people’s food habits and to promote the mission for better food and education for everyone.