Who doesn’t love the smell of basil? It’s the most incredible herb and its fragrance is intoxicating. I made Gai Pad Gra Pow for lunch today, which is a popular Thai dish of chicken stir-fried in basil. But I’m doing it up Moonberry-style, and added cashews into the dish for a bit of crunch and color.
On with the ingredients:
Thai Chicken Basil and Cashews, ala Moonberry
2 Tbs Oil for stir-frying
1/2 lb Ground Chicken
2 Tbs Garlic, chopped
1 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Fish Sauce
1 bunch Fresh Basil
1/2 cup Roasted Cashews
1/2 cup Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and julienned
1 tsp Red Chili, chopped (optional)
1. Stir-fry chopped garlic (and red chili, if used) in oil.
2. Add ground chicken, stir-fry until almost cooked.
3. Add sugar, fish sauce, and jalapeno pepper.
4. After the chicken is fully cooked, put in cashews and basil last. Basil wilt very quickly from the heat, so it’s best to add at the very end.
5. Serve over white rice. This recipe feeds 2 adults.
– Ground Chicken can be substituted to other meats, like turkey, pork or beef.
– Jalapeno Pepper can be substituted with Bell Peppers, red orange green whichever you like.