I’ve been saving raw shrimp shells whenever I cooked anything with shrimps. I just put them all into a freezer bag until I accumulated enough, as I wanted to use them as the base of my broth for Prawn Noodles. I didn’t include this into the recipe below, but boiling the shrimp shells and pork bones yielded a very flavorful broth that gives this dish a lot of “oomph”. It’s all about the broth! :9 *slurps*
2 Liter Water
400g Medium-sized Prawns
100g Lean Pork
600g Pork Spareribs (cut into pieces)
1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
2 Tbsp Oil
500g Yellow Noodles (Boiled)
100g Bean Sprouts (Blanched)
200g Water Spinach, ie. Kangkong (cut into 5cm lengths, blanched — see below for what water spinach looks like.)
Fishballs or Fishcakes (as desired)
Sliced Red Bird Eye Chillies
Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Salt
1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
1. Bring water to boil then add prawns and lean pork to cook. Remove.
2. Peel off prawn heads and shells for later use. Devein prawns. Slice lean pork thinly. Reserve stock.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in wok till hot. Stir-fry pork spareribs till outer layer is cooked. Transfer to prawn stock.
4 Add 1 Tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry chopped garlic, prawn heads and shells till fragrant.
5. Remove then grind coarsely using food processor. Transfer into prawn stock.
6. Simmer together with pork spareribs for 60-90 minutes. Strain and add seasoning.
7. Divide noodles and bean sprouts into bowls.
8. Add sliced pork, prawns and kangkong.
9. Pour prawn stock over noodles.
10. Sprinkle with fishballs or fishcakes, crispy shallots, sliced red chilies, chili powder and pepper. Serve.